Are you thinking of installing a patio cover in Houston, TX? If so, this new addition to your home will be a great and dynamic investment, and the experts at ABC Awning Company are here to help you think through the considerations you should make as you approach your purchase:
- Material: Wood patio covers look attractive, help bring a stylish appearance to your patio and are often available in multiple colors and textures. However, wood patio covers will require routine sanding and painting, and their longevity can be impacted if the wood peels, warps or rots over time. Vinyl patio covers require very little upkeep, as they don’t need to be sanded or repainted regularly, and they are less likely than wood to peel or otherwise become damaged. Vinyl covers do tend to fade over time and generally cannot be painted or otherwise altered in appearance. Aluminum patio covers, meanwhile, are durable and easy to maintain, and they are often more affordable than other options you might consider. Keep in mind, though, that an aluminum patio cover may emanate heat rather than protect you from it.
- Permanence of the awning: Are you looking for a patio cover that is permanent, or one that is more temporary? If you are not planning to perform any construction on your patio, a permanent cover might be the right solution for you. A permanent patio cover is generally built to extend out from the house, starting from below the gutter and extending toward the patio. Posts are generally installed along the patio’s longest edge. Temporary patio covers include retractable styles, which can be pulled back when not in use. This or another type of temporary cover may make sense for you if you are contemplating having any work done or changes made to the structure of your patio.
- Climate and overall atmosphere: Deciding between an open or closed patio cover will likely depend on the weather conditions where you live and your reason for installing a patio cover in the first place. For example, if you’re interested in purchasing one for privacy, a closed cover style might be a good option. Or, if you don’t frequently experience rain, an open style could be an idea worth exploring.
- Aesthetic and style of your patio: If your patio furniture is more basic and the overall look of your patio is fairly simple, a more intricate cover can dress up your space. However, if your patio furniture is particularly sophisticated or you frequently use your patio to entertain, take care not to select a patio cover that is overly plain, as it will contrast with the overall aesthetic of the patio space.
- Patio size: Do you already know the exact measurements of your patio? If not, you’ll need to take them or find out what they are so that you can determine how large the patio cover needs to be.
Ready to start browsing for a patio cover in Houston, TX? Or maybe you still have some questions about the type of patio cover that would be best for you? Contact ABC Awning Company today to start your search or to learn more!